The Pawnshop Manual's debut album, Parcels and Polaroids, is a meditative self-reflection that explores a particular kind of desire: to make changes and connections in an isolating world. Five Inch Step invites an awakening to the superficiality of our interactions that Falls Over Whole (Believing Through) then depicts.We've Become Here (Believing In) swells with an intense longing that evokes deep empathy in anyone who has found themselves bouncing between hope and despair. A gentle instrumental begs for simplicity and focus in a world of contradictions, and the sweet duet that follows, the title track, delivers that focus with its revelation that “All that I need is here.” 4:37am (Things That Follow) is an energetic, clap-along song that makes you want to play it loud and sing it with your friends on your way to somewhere you can't wait to be. It celebrates hope, happiness and togetherness. A slowed-down refrain from We've Become Here brings the album to a contemplative close.
The Pawnshop Manual make intellectual and infectious pop that satisfies the listener's yearning for music that asks big questions and mulls the answers thoughtfully and creatively. Parcels and Polaroids is dynamic and evocative from beginning to end, and its aural meandering will stay with you long after the road trip is over.
To express these complex themes, The Pawnshop Manual draws from musical influences ranging from world music, rock, pop, folk, electronica and classical music. One could say Radiohead meets Björk meets Arcade Fire.
released February 10, 2011
All music written, programmed and performed by The Pawnshop Manual (t.shiota), except:
2. "Falls Over Whole (Believing Through)", written by The Pawnshop Manual. Bass by Miles Waghray, Drums by Juli Steemson (www.radjuli.com
3. "We've Become Here (Believing In)", written by The Pawnshop Manual. Bass by Miles Waghray, Drums & Noises by Juli Steemson (www.radjuli.com
5. "Parcels and Polaroids", written by The Pawnshop Manual. Backup vocals by Andrea Schneider, Bass and Melodica by Miles Waghray
6. "4:37am (Things That Follow)", written by The Pawnshop Manual. Choir by Eric Anderson, Mary Jo Curry, Alix Little, Benjamin R. Thompson
7. "We've Become Here (Refrain)", written by The Pawnshop Manual. Backup vocals by Andrea Schneider, Bass by Miles Waghray, Drums by Juli Steemson (www.radjuli.com
Artwork and Design by Eric Anderson (www.chromoschema.com
Thanks for being inspiring.